Every Nepalese favorite dish, Momo
A popular item in the restaurant of Nepal, Momo is undoubtedly one of the satisfying snacks. When you visit the restaurant for lunch or dinner, you probably have ordered momo along with other dishes.
Momo is something that every Nepalese are fond of. So when we love momo so much, you must have tried to make momo at home. Does your Momo taste similar to the one you had in the restaurant?
If no then there is the special momo masala recipe to add extra flavor to your momo.
Momo masala recipe
You can get momo masala in the store, but when you can make fresh momo masala at home why to buy it. Or if you want a restaurant like taste in momo you can buy Century momo masala, else you can make it at home.
It’s simple to make momo masala at home. You don’t need to search for the ingredients in the market. You can prepare the masala with the spices at home.
So the ingredients that you need to make momo masala at home are:
- Whole black pepper-1/2 tbsp
- Dry ginger -1/2 inch
- Cloves (lawan) – 9
- Cardamoms (elaichi) -6
- Dried chillies-9
- Bay leaves (Tej patta)- 2
- Cinnamon stick (Dalchinni)-2 inches
- Mustard seeds (tori)- 1/2 tbsp
- Small size Nutmeg (Jaiphal)- 1
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi)- 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds (Dhaniya)- 1 tbsp
- CenturySalt- 1/2 tbsp
- Century Turmeric powder (Haldhi)- 1/2 tbsp
Along with these spices, you can add onion and garlic. Usually, onion and garlic are added in keema and we don’t want to double the quality of any ingredients so better not to use these species while making momo masala.
Step 1: Get ready with all the ingredients on the table.
Place a plate on the table and put an exact quantity of ingredient that is mentioned above. Make sure you have every ingredient ready to prepare momo masala.
Step 2: Heat the pan
So the next step is to roast all ingredients except salt and turmeric in the pan. When the pan is hot enough to roast put all the species and stir the spices gently.
Step 3: Roast the spices for 2 mins
Roast the spices in medium flame. Keep roasting the spices until it turns into light brown. While roasting it, make sure you don’t burn it, else you’ll need a new batch of spices.
Step 4: Take a grinder
Get your grinder ready to do its role. Put all the roasted spices in the grinder and start grinding it.
Step 5: Mix the ingredients
So now you need to add salt and turmeric powder in the masala and mix it properly. And your momo masala is ready.
Now you need dough and keema to prepare momo
Let’s start by preparing dough for the momo.
How to make dough for momo?
To make the dough, you’ll need flour (maida).
- Take a bowl and add 5 big cups of flour in it.
- Make sure you take the bowl with a big opening so that you can easily prepare the dough for momo.
- Put the jar of water by your side and start pouring the water slowly into the flour.
- Before you start kneading the dough, put the oil on your palms so that flour won’t stick to your palms.
- Start kneading until you get a soft dough.
- Don’t add too much water, that won’t make the dough soft instead it will get watery.
- When your dough starts taking shape, don’t add water even if it’s stiff.
- Just keep on kneading it.
- If you feel difficulty while kneading in the bowl then you can knead on the table.
- But make sure that table is clean.
- If you clean the table with a wet cloth make sure the table is dry before you put the dough on it.
- Keep on kneading the dough until it gets soft.
- Pack the dough in the plastic bag and allow it to rest for an hour.
So until the dough is ready to roll, let’s prepare keema for the momo.
How to prepare keema with momo masala?
You can make buff momo, chicken momo, veg. momo depending upon your choice. This keema recipe is for buff momo.
In order to make buff keema for momo, you won’t need many spices as you already have all the spices in momo masala. So you’ll basically need Soya bean oil, ghee, onion, salt, chilly powder, cumin (jeera) powder, turmeric powder, coriander leaf (optional), garlic, and momo masala.
- Put one kg buff keema in the bowl.
- Add 20ml soya bean oil and give a proper stir.
- Take one big onion and chop it very finely.
- Add chopped onion along with 1/4 tbsp garlic paste to the buff keema.
- Then add 1/2 tbsp of chilly powder. However, you can add chilly powder depending upon your taste.
- As you already have turmeric powder in momo masala, so you can just add 1/3 tbsp turmeric powder.
- Depending upon your taste, you can add salt to the keema. But make sure you don’t put a regular amount of salt in keema as we already have salt in momo masala.
- Add 1/3 cumin powder in the keema.
- Next, add 1 full spoon of ghee. Ghee enhances the taste of the keema so don’t hesitate to use ghee.
- Now it’s time for momo masala. Put 1/2 tablespoon of momo masala to give you momo a wow flavor.
- Give a very good stir to the keema.
- Finally, add 10 grams of coriander leaf and mix it with the keema properly. Make sure you chop the coriander leaf before you mix in keema.
So your filling is ready for momo.
Now, all you need to do is make momo wrapper from the dough. Is your dough ready? If yes then let’s start making momo.
Let’s make momo
- Divide the dough into 12g portion
- Flatten the dough with roller making a circle.
- Fill the keema in the middle of the circle.
- Give shape and give design to your momo
- Take a momo stemmer and pour oil on the surface, so the momo doesn’t stick to it.
- Keep the water to boil, until you finish giving shape to momo.
- When the water is boiled, put the layer of the momo stemmer and wait for 10 mins.
Your momo is ready to serve.