Okra masala is the perfect dish to serve when you have a guest in the house. When you want to provide vegetable options to a guest, okra masala is an ideal dish to serve.
Okra is a slim vegetable with seeds and a slimy substance inside. The slimy substance is called mucilage which is a good source of protein, carbohydrates, soluble fiber and is the reason why this vegetable is so healthy.
If you know someone who doesn’t like okra, you should provide them okra masala. They will surely love this recipe. When okra is combined with masalas, it gives awesome flavor. However, you need to know the right way to prepare okra masala.
Try following all the instructions provided in this recipe so that okra masala gets the perfect flavor.
Tips To Prepare Okra Masala
- It’s very important to choose good quality okra. While choosing okra, you need to choose one which is fresh. As fresh okra cooks easily and tastes good.
- It’s always better to chop the okra dry. But that doesn’t mean you don’t wash okra before cooking. What you need to do is you need to wash and let it dry before chopping.
- When okra is cooked, you notice a change in the color. It will turn from light green to slightly dark green in color.
- As okra has slime, it can get sticky while cooking. So, to avoid stickiness, you will have to fry them first.
- You need to wash okra before cutting. You can’t wash it after cutting. Washing okra after cutting removes nutrition, so you need to wash it before cutting.
- Never cover okra while cooking. If the pan is covered while cooking, it will bring out moisture from okra and turn it slimy.
As you have learned important tips, now you can start preparing okra masala.
- Okra- 250 gram
- Cumin seeds- half teaspoon
- Onion- one medium-sized
- Green chili- one
- Chili powder- half teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste- half tablespoon
- Tomato- one medium-sized
- Turmeric powder- one-fourth teaspoon
- Garam masala- one teaspoon
- Coriander powder– one teaspoon
- Kasuri methi- half teaspoon
- Coriander leaves
When you are ready will all ingredients, you can start preparing.
Try following below mentioned steps correctly. Doing exactly what is suggested in this article can help you prepare flavorful okra masala. So, don’t skip any steps and tips.
Rinse the okra under running water. Wipe them using kitchen tissue to remove moisture. You can also use a clean cloth to dry okra. Drying okra may not seem important, but you need to follow this step to avoid okra being sticky.
After you have dried okra, you need to chop them. Chop the okra into medium size. Don’t chop them thin as they can turn slimy after adding water to them.
Now you need to chop onion and tomato. Finely chop them put them aside. Also, you need to chop green chili. You can skip chili if you are serving it to kids. You will need them in the upcoming steps.
After you are done chopping, you can start preparing okra masala. Take a pan then heat two tablespoons of oil on a medium flame.
After the oil is heated, add chopped okra and fry in medium flame. If the base of your pan is thin, you can lower the flame to avoid burning. Stir and fry the okra for about 5 minutes. Cook it until it changes its color and becomes crunchy.
Transfer fried okra into a plate.
Now you need to prepare the masala. You can use the same pan or another pan to prepare masala for okra.
Add two tablespoons of oil and allow it to heat in medium flame.
When the oil is hot, you need to add half a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Fry and stir it for few seconds. You need to fry cumin seeds until it splutters.
After that, you need to add chopped onions and green chili. Stir and cook until onions turn golden brown. You will have to cook it for one or two minutes.
Then add half a tablespoon ginger-garlic paste to the pan. Stir and cook until the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste goes away.
Next, you need to add chopped tomatoes. And you can also add salt in this step. Use salt according to your taste. Cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
Now you need to add all the masalas. Add half teaspoon chili powder, one-fourth teaspoon turmeric powder, one teaspoon garam masala, and one teaspoon coriander powder. Mix all the masalas. Stir the masala until it turns thick.
Pour half cup of water. Allow it to cook until it turns into a thick paste. Keep stirring so that you don’t burn the masalas.
Crush half teaspoon Kasuri methi and add it into the pan.
After masala is cooked, add chopped okra. Stir and cook until they turn tender. You will have to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer it to the plate, and it’s ready to be served.
You serve it with rice or roti.